Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reunion

Several weeks ago, I attended a wedding reception for the children of a dear friend. It was in Lawrence, the town where my son and I used to live.

The reception was held in a beautifully decorated church fellowship hall. It was a joy to celebrate the marriage of this young couple and to praise God for bringing them together.

But the best part was seeing all the friends and colleagues of my past. As we hugged and chatted, we talked about what we’re doing now – where we are in life and in our spiritual journeys – how our kids have grown. We also mentioned a few of the aches and pains we’re going through, things we never thought we would talk about.

As I munched on chips and salsa, I looked around at the dear, familiar faces. So many men and women that shared ministry with me, prayed together, worshipped in the same church, walked the same trails. I could almost see some of the tapestries God had woven together to merge our lives, to make a difference in this particular time of history. I was proud of the great work my friends have done through the years, glad that my name is associated with theirs in God’s book, confident that so many of them will receive great rewards.

It was a piece of eternity – of that incredible time when we will be finished with this world and we will gather around Jesus, reminiscing about all the ways He let us do his work.

Well done, good friends of Lawrence. I look forward to our next meeting on earth and to that bountiful reunion in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment