Wednesday, October 6, 2010

No Regrets

Next week, I will celebrate one of those decade birthdays – the kind that seems a lot older than it really is. I’m not worried about marking another year on the calendar. This birthday just makes me that much closer to heaven where I’ll kiss the feet of Jesus.

But the decade birthdays tend to make us ponder the passage of time. So, I have thought about some of the decisions I’ve made in the past, both positive and negative.

I’m so glad I had the opportunity to be a mother. My son is a delight every day. I’m glad I have a college degree, but wish I had earned a Master’s or even a PhD when I was younger. I would have enjoyed teaching creative writing on the college level. I still wish I could have attended seminary, but I’m glad for the Bible training in my Christian high school and college. I wish I could have saved more money, but I’m glad God was faithful even when I was financially stupid. I’m grateful for all the different ministries where I’ve served, but wish I could have discipled more young people. Maybe that will happen in this next decade.

But there is one decision I made that I’ve never regretted. One glorious day, I fell in love with Jesus and gave him my heart. Through all the decades since, even through all my mistakes – He has been faithful. He’s loved me on bad hair days and when my freckles turned into age spots. He’s filled me with His lovely Spirit and allowed me to live in peace. He’s never rejected me; never disappointed me; never hurt me.

We can’t, of course, relive the past. That’s why it’s so important that every day be filled with life and love. We have only this moment, so we need to make the most of it. The best of all my moments involve Jesus.

I have no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment