Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Power of the Word

Ephesians 6 teaches us about the power of the Bible, that it is our Sword of the Spirit and we need to know how to use it. Last night, I had an experience that underlined the truth of God’s powerful Word.

I was asleep when a spirit of fear attacked me. It tried to smother me with anxiety about the job search. So I did the only thing possible – I cried out to God and spoke the power of his word. I repeated Proverbs 3:5-6 until the spirit left: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”

That is not the passage I usually speak to fight against fear, but those were the words that came to my lips in the darkness of the night. After a few minutes, the spirit left. But about an hour later, it returned – same spirit, same fear.

So I repeated the exact same verse, and the spirit left. I slept soundly the rest of the night and woke with a sense of peace and joy.

The word of God is powerful, able to defeat strongholds and anything that comes against us. Even when the theme of the verse isn’t exactly appropriate for the moment, God’s word is still powerful. Even when we’re half-groggy with sleep, God’s word dispels the fear. His word within us is greater than anything the enemy can throw at us.

I’m so grateful for the power of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment