Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The End or The Beginning

Today was my last day at the temp job. It’s actually the same place I’ve worked for six years, but has become a temp job as Reduction in Force affected our business. In the meantime, nothing else has surfaced for me – no interviews, no replies to emails or voice-mails, no answers to prayer.

So this morning, I spent time just praising God for the past six years. I thought of all the people I have met, either in person or over the phone lines, and thanked God for putting them in my life. They have been examples of Christian faith and integrity in the workplace. I thanked God for all the things I have learned, either spiritually or on-the-job training. My computer skills are more honed than before, and I can do many things on the internet that I could not do in the last job.

But still, it is a bittersweet time. I wanted to “Go out in joy and be led forth with peace (Isa. 55:12); however, my emotions were more attuned to self-pity and doubt rather than joy and peace. I almost drove to Dairy Queen to drown my sorrows in a strawberry shake, but the Holy Spirit reminded me that He is my comfort – not ice cream.

For today, I’m okay. The tough time will come next week, after the 4th of July holiday, when people all over the city return to work and I don’t. Maybe that’s when I’ll find out what my faith is really built on – the security of a job or the unseen path of faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment