Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Significance of Help

After spending a week in Oklahoma with family, I am grateful again for the timing of God. The last few months, my energy has been focused on trying to find a job. I have wondered why nothing has surfaced. Even after seven interviews and 65 completed applications, nothing has happened. Yet this week, I began to see why. My sister and my family needed me.

It was an intense surgery, lasting 13 hours from beginning to final recovery. The rehab will be painful and at least three months long, but my sister has some relief already from the pinched nerves, the degenerated discs and the scoliosis. My mother, who has been fearful, has had a week of someone else in the house. We have driven around town, we have visited the doctor, we have eaten together and discussed family business.

Although my mind has been focused on the job search, God sees the larger picture. He is fully capable of providing the job I need at the exact time he has decreed. He reminds me not to be so selfish about my needs, but to do all I can to help family – for such a time as this.

We find significance in our work, but we also find great value in being able to help others. This week, I return to Kansas City and once again, search and pray. But for the last weeks of April, I was free and available to do something even more important than my own needs – to help others.

And isn’t that a higher call?

1 comment:

  1. I have often been on the receiving end of help. I am grateful that I have ofyen benefitted from the kindness of other. I especially appreciate when those serving do so graciously with the apparent awareness that God arranged their circumstances and the timing.
    Yes, serving id the higher call/
    May God bless you, meet your needs and honor you as you honor Him.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete