Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lessons of Unemployment

Although being unemployed is scary, I have been trying to find some positives in the situation. Some of the blessings I’ve discovered are:

• TIME – on the days I don’t do temp work, I have more time to read books, think about God and stroll through the local nurseries – smelling not only the roses, but all the other flowers.

• MEDITATION – thinking more about trust and about who God is. Can I really trust him to come through and find me a job? If not, then what’s wrong with my faith?

• CREATIVITY – since I’m a writer, I’m always being creative with my words. But now I’m also learning creativity with the budget. How far can I stretch those vegetables? How many dishes can I make from one stir fry? Answer – as many as possible until they’re gone.

• PATIENCE – Psalm 40:1 reminds me not only to wait for God to answer, but also to wait patiently. That means, don’t complain. Focus on blessings.

• KINDNESS – God’s people are kind. Some have sent cash, one friend mailed a grocery gift card, others sent greetings and confirmation that they are praying. Every kindness is a like a breath of scented air.

• SECURITY – my faith is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ. Jobs are extra benefits, places of work where we can influence people and try to do some good in this world. Jobs are not our security. When the job is gone, God is still here.

• FAMILY – my extended family lives in Oklahoma, but I know they pray for me. My family here is my son and our animals. I’m spending as much time as possible doing things with them. This blesses me as well as them.

I truly hope that a job appears soon, and I need it to happen soon. But in the meantime, I’ll keep looking for the blessings of unemployment and stay in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment