Thursday, January 27, 2011

His Benefits

While searching for a job, one of the areas I want to consider is benefits. I’ve lived without health insurance before and hope I never have to again. Scary! But this week, I considered another type of benefits, those described in Psalm 103.

He forgives all our sins. Sometimes I think we forget to thank God for sending Jesus. As we live from day to day as busy people, we tend to take our salvation for granted. Then one covetous thought or one gluttonous meal or one word of gossip reminds us we need to be forgiven again. We benefit greatly from God’s grace.

He heals our diseases. Certainly, I can testify to the healing of my son’s disease. Check out carnival4caleb.blogspot.com, and God has allowed me to be the recipient of several healings. Although we don’t always think about it, God is still the Healer even when we don’t see the healing in this lifetime or in the timing we pray for. He ultimately heals the diseases of our souls and then wipes out every disease in the hallways of heaven.

He redeems our lives from the pit. From the pit of hell, from the pit of destructive strongholds, from the pit of addictive behaviors, from the pit of discouragement, from the pit of all the craziness in our world, from all the pits we can fall into.

He crowns us with love and compassion. When I’m discouraged here at the house, I put on my tiara. It reminds me I am a princess, a daughter of the King, greatly valued and loved with all the compassion of the gentle Savior’s heart.

He satisfies our desires with good things. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and here I am – tapping out words for this blog. This morning, I wondered how we would buy groceries next week. I reached into the mailbox and pulled out a HyVee gift card from a friend. Last week, I needed copy paper. A friend’s husband used his coupon at Office Depot for a box of paper – for me – to satisfy that desire when he didn’t even know it was a need.

These are only some of the benefits we enjoy because we are God’s children – benefits that expand far beyond the puny benefits of a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment