Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In Everything

One weekend, I watched a football game on TV. The score was tied, and it was up to the kicker to win or lose the game. He gave the ball a mighty kick, and it soared through the goalposts. Just before he was mobbed by his happy teammates, the kicker raised his eyes to heaven and pointed upward. He seemed to be saying, “Praise God! The victory is won!”

I have no doubts about the sincerity of this young man, and I have seen other athletes make the same gesture – after the home run, after the three point shot, after the tape is broken at the finish line. I enjoy the ecstasy of the win, but I also wonder about praising God during the agony of defeat.

The Apostle Paul encouraged us to give thanks in all circumstances – not just when we win, but also when the job doesn’t appear, when the disease is not healed, when we have more questions than answers. Can we praise God as fervently from the lonely room, from the hospital, from the cemetery?

This Thanksgiving, I still have questions, but I’m grateful God knows the answers. Even if he doesn’t share them with me, I want to be thankful for His presence while I question. Even if my three point shot for a published book bounces off the backboard, I want to raise my eyes to heaven and say thank you for the attempt. Even if the job isn’t secure and the Christmas goose isn’t fat, I want to point skyward and praise the One who makes Thanksgiving possible.

“In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I am Matt Gordon, International Field Director for Mercy and Truth Medical Missions. I just received what I perceive to be junk mail with a link to your "linked-in" profile page. The email is asking for Money to be sent to you in London. My email is Matt.Gordon@mercyandtruth.com. If you would like to identify my identity you can go to Mercy and Truth's website at www.mercyandtruth.com or to my facebook page at www.facebook.com/mattandemma1 please email me as soon as you can so I can solidify this truth and hopefully help catch whoever is doing this. The email came from rebjay3@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete