Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Heart Waits

Sue Monk Kidd is one of my favorite writers. I have followed her career from the days of Virtue magazine to the publishing of The Secret Life of Bees. Recently, I discovered a nonfiction book by Kidd and have relished in the prose of this talented writer.

The book is called When the Heart Waits and is a chronicle of Sue’s midlife crisis and how she had to wait for God to reveal himself. In the process, she learned a great deal about herself and about the principle of waiting. She states there is a difference between waiting and being still. Waiting is something we all do – in the grocery store line, at the bank, during enrollment at school.

But to be still is to wait with patience, to trust God for the answer even though the answer seems distant, to believe that God still cares even when everything is falling apart.

King David transcribed God’s viewpoint of waiting in Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.” We often focus on the “be still” section of this verse, but the important part is to “know” that He is God. Sometimes, the only way to know God best is to go through the waiting.

As I continue to wait for the job, I want to be still and keep believing that God’s timing is best and his divine will is for the purpose of glorifying Christ. I want my heart to wait with hope and stay in praise. This is my prayer for today.

1 comment:

  1. Be still and know that I am God is a verse that comes to mind. It seems that to know God - truly know Him, His kindness, integrity, and love - is what can bring the peace to be still. Thanks for being a good example of "Staying in Hope".
    I think of you often. I hope you are well and happy.

    ReplyDelete