Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Watching the Sparrows

Every morning, I grab my over-sized coat and venture out to the deck to feed the birds. Sometimes I see the scarlet cardinals, who always come in pairs. Most days, the obnoxious bluejays appear. During the winter months, the snow birds settle in for a snack.

But the species that comes every day is the sparrow. She is not the flashiest bird, but she is definitely the most intense species. Every morning, she waits on the deck and flutters a few feet away when I come out the door. As soon as the birdseed is spread on the deck and in the feeder, she is back. She works diligently and doesn't leave until every last seed is consumed.

I like the sparrows, because they remind me of the care and protection of God. In Psalm 84, we are reminded that God cares about the sparrow and provides a nest for her to shelter her young.

During these days of job searches, waiting for phone calls and dressing for successful interviews - I stay focused on hope because of one truth. God cares about this sparrow and her chick. He loves me, and he loves my son. He will show us where to find enough seed for another week and when it's the right time - he'll provide the perfect job.

No comments:

Post a Comment