Friday, March 18, 2011

A Few Days Respite

Last weekend, I experienced three glorious days of respite. No bills were due and none came in the mail. No major appliances broke, and the car continued to take me where I needed to go. Although my son had a slight cold, we didn’t have to go to the doctor. OTC drugs took care of it – and God’s healing power.

For three glorious days, nothing happened to try to steal my joy. I roamed through a couple of home décor stores, just enjoying the textures and colors of pillows and bedding. At a local coffee place, I used a free coupon for a cup of hot tea. I spent time out on my deck, reading a good book and praising God for spring.

Before the fourth day flipped over on the calendar, I praised God for three days free of worry and care. It gave me a foretaste of what heaven will be like: no bills, no stress, no illness and none of the tendencies we have toward sin. Just pure peace and joy and the raptures of God’s love all around us.

After those three days of respite, life kicked in again. I was spiritually attacked, my desktop computer died, and no more support came in for my job. Discouragement tried to visit me, but God urged me to read Psalm 52 and concentrate on verses 8-9, “I am like an olive tree, flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love forever and ever. I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in the presence of your saints.”

No comments:

Post a Comment