Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blessed Insurance

For the past two weeks, I’ve been searching for health insurance. I’ve looked at numerous websites and spoken to several insurance reps. These are helpful people whom I appreciate, because they help me muddle through the paperwork. So far, I have not found affordable insurance that a part-time-raising-funds-and-hoping-to-be-full-time job can support. It’s one of those conundrums of life: insurance – can’t live with it or without it.

So I come back to the only One who gives me any type of real and lasting insurance – Jesus Christ. He reminds me of the words penned by his servant David, “Do not fret; it leads only to evil” (Psalm 37:8b).

What is the evil that can result from fretting about insurance? Worry that keeps me from sleeping at night and getting the rest that my body needs. Worry that I might have a terrible accident and have no insurance to cover it. Worry that I might end up bankrupt and foreclosed on, because the medical bills took everything. Worry that I might lose everything anyway, because the cost of the insurance is prohibitive. Fret = worry = the evil of a life not in trust.

All I can do is try to work with the reps and find the best plan for me, then trust God with the rest of life. He is faithful to keep me healthy, to protect me from accident and to provide the funds necessary to be a good steward. He is faithful when life doesn’t work out the way it should. He is faithful when we don’t know which path to choose. He is faithful enough that we can trust him.

So we’re back to the issue of trust again – and staying in the hope that trust brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment