Saturday, March 26, 2011

In All Things

One of the books I’ve been reading lately is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. The premise is to give thanks for all the little things we rarely notice so that we can become people of gratitude. Some of the items Ann gives thanks for are the rainbows that form in dishwater suds, clean clothes hanging on the line and the smile of her baby.

As I’ve read her incredible writing and thought more about giving thanks, I’ve noticed more of life’s details to praise God for. The robins who keep determining that it is spring, in spite of our snowy weather. The fact that whenever I turn my key in the ignition, my car’s motor roars to life. The internet connection that helps me do research.

It’s easy to thank God for the days that are sunny and the circumstances that are comfortable, but staying in an attitude of thanksgiving helps broaden our faith when life is hard. I tried this practice the other day while sitting in the dentist’s chair with my mouth wide open and the squeal of the drill setting my remaining teeth on edge.

“Thank you, God, for the technology we have so that this filling can be fixed. Thank you for quality dental care here in the U.S. Thank you for the COBRA insurance that will help pay for this bill.”

Instead of praying for help while in the dentist’s chair, thanking God for the blessings of the moment made it a more worthwhile and even worshipful time. As Voscamp explains, “Eucharisteo (giving thanks) always precedes the miracle.”

Maybe the real miracle is the transformation of our hearts as we give thanks in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment