Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wrapped in Prayer

Ribbons, scotch tape, colorful paper – all these wrappings of the season in my office just waiting for me. One day soon, I’ll pull the Christmas presents out of their hiding places and begin my wrapping routine.

I love to wrap presents and spend time choosing just the right paper for each person, a coordinating ribbon and the proper box. For me, it’s more than just another chore of the Christmas season because I wrap my presents in prayer.

As I choose each box and cut the paper to size, I think about the person who will receive the gift. My niece or her daughter, my son or a friend who lives in Lawrence. Each person has special needs and cares, so I pray as I wrap.

“Thank you, God, for protecting my son through another year and for the clean MRI. No more cancer. Bless him, Lord. Keep him safe and meet all his needs.”

“Be with my great-niece, Lord. Grow her up in you and give her a wonderful Christmas. Help her do well in school and love you at an early age.”

“My friend needs you, Lord. She’s a single mom, too, and life is hard. Give her a wonderful Christmas with her family and meet every need. Thank you, God.”

In no time, the presents are wrapped and under the tree. A Christmas chore has become a special evening of worship. Gifts represent more than ribbons, tape and paper. They are now a pathway to the King of kings – the real reason for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, I'm glad to connect on your blog. What a great way to wrap gifts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete